First thing every Bronco owner encounters is RUST . You don't have to live in the " rust belt " to find rust in your Bronco , Ford seems to have gone to great lengths to ensure that every Bronco owner would share in this experience . Front floors are the most common place to find rust, but the repair is fairly straight forward .
This '76 Sport is a good example of a "dry" western Bronco. Body was perfect, but the floors !
What you're seeing above is the top of the aux. fuel tank & the 2nd body crossmember/ mount. I have cut away here all the affected metal. Pre-made floor pans are available but I choose sometimes to fabricate my own out of sheet stock. I weld in my new panels but screwing/riviting will work also. Finished floor is on the right.
So, you have your heart set on a Bronco with uncut fenders but you can't find one anywhere .
All isn't lost, while much more is involved than rust repairs , your cut fenders can be returned
to uncut original condition.
Now in my opinion the stock rear fenders on a Bronco are totally impractical on a 4x4 but....
there's something about an uncut Bronco !
There's two ways to go about this job, buy a new replacment quarter panel or find a donor Bronco.
On this '70 Sport I used a donor panel. I first made a cardboard template of the cut fender, then traced it on to the uncut fender. That way the donor quarter wasn't totally useless, it could still be used.
After grinding & fitting , clamp into place & tack weld. Now comes the tedious part, finish welding the entire seam. I do small sections at a time , moving around to keep heat warpage down. After the welding is complete , the welds are ground smooth & the warps are hammer & dollied out. Metal is then cleaned & final finishing with body filler is next.
So now that you've got new floors & stock fenders you just HAVE to have a 1/2 cab !
Well.....it can be done but ya better have patience !
While not exactly like
Ford made them , this
top makes a good summer top or just a
change of style for your Bronco.
You need a stock full top, a damaged one or
something you don't mind cutting up. Cut it apart at the startng point of the side window in the front & at the top corner of the window at the rear.
1st photo was the test fit after tack welding together. There's lots of filler pieces to add , endless grinding, but the results are pretty neat.
This top can be viewed in it's finished form on my PROJECTS page.
Ok here's a big one , steel roadster doors . Built these from original doors ,
made to open & close like stock .
The first step is to find some doors you don't mind cutting up . These came from a roll over I picked up . Mark out the pattern then cut out . The removed panel is sitting on top of the door .
Here's both sides cut . The trick is getting both sides the same .
Patience Patience !
Ok , now things are happening .
At this point I've welded in a new piece on the right side to "smooth" out the raised inner door panel area . A new filler piece for the cutout is sitting on the saw horse waiting for final fitting & welding . Also to be welded in are the recesses in the lower door for the old track mounting hardware .
Here the welding is complete . Fillers were also welded in where the window frames used to be & the door handle & lock & all unused mounting holes . A release rod was modified to pull straight up at the rear of the door .
Floor pan replacment
Uncut quarter panels
A couple more floor pan pics ... this of my '66's OEM panels
Been awhile since I've had time for "fun stuff ! "
If you have a 1/2 cab you know that storage space is at best , limited !
So ..... I bring you MEGA GLOVEBOX !
I welded up all the excess holes that were still around after stretching the glovebox opening .
The door is actually 2 pieces , an inner & outter skin that can carefully be separated . "Wings" were added to each end to keep the door original looking then reassembled .
The glovebox liner was made from 2 cardboard liners sectioned then pop rivited together .
Here's a second dash I built for roll cage clearance .
I moved the glovebox to the left & eliminated the speaker grill & ash tray .... 2 things not needed !
All I need now is time to install the cage !!!
Well finally got talked into building another for a friend . Amazing what 6 years of added experience & better tools will accomplish !
This one I used a panel flanging tool on the seams & it made one strong & easy to weld joint . Trimming & fitting around the drip rail was a bit tricky .
Well I went & did it again . Decided my '67 would look better uncut so we welded a cut-out back in on the drivers side & replaced the passenger side with a new lower , which in all reality is much easier to do than using the cut-out pieces . Also welded up the body seams & did a '77 gas door conversion .